Costuming Charlie Brown: Puffy Sleeves

My goal with the sleeves was to make them as puffy as possible. I started with the actual sleeve pattern from the tunic, and made it almost twice as wide and a bit taller (basically figure 2 below).

Puffed Sleeveseverything you could ever want to know about drafting sleeve patterns, from

This is the part where I realized I didn’t quite have enough fabric (who knew 3 yards wouldn’t be enough…). So I had to cut the sleeves in two pieces, with a seam running down the outer arm. Fortunately it’s hardly noticeable with all the puff.

To make the sleeve puff, I gathered the top edge of the sleeve, and sewed it into the dress. Then I made a wide hem at the bottom, leaving an inch or two open at the underarm seam. I threaded elastic through the hem and tied it off at approximately the length to fit comfortably around my arm.

Puffed Sleeve

puffed sleeve! yay!

I’m really happy with how the puffed sleeves turned out – I think they’re my favorite part of the whole dress.

This entry was posted in Costumes, Projects. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Costuming Charlie Brown: Puffy Sleeves

  1. Pingback: Connect « Terug naar de Renaissance

  2. Mihiri Kalansooriya says:

    I love these sleeve patterns!

  3. Thank you for these sleeve patterns, they are really helpful!

  4. zeze says:

    Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many
    thanks, However I am going through issues with your RSS. I don’t know
    why I am unable to join it. Is there anybody else having identical RSS problems?
    Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond?


  5. Its not my first time to pay a quick visit this web
    page, i am browsing this web page dailly and get nice facts from here every

  6. I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your site.

    It appears as though some of the written text within your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let
    me know if this is happening to them too? This may be a problem with my
    browser because I’ve had this happen before. Cheers

  7. I know this website presents quality based articles or reviews and extra information, is there any other site which
    gives these kinds of data in quality?


    This is very helpful information on the puff sleeve. What i intend to do is a puff sleeve but make it into a long sleeve , so it will be sort of a medieval sleeve, if you see what i mean. I have not seen any clothes in the shops yet that replicate this. I did notice that a lot of the Laura Ashley styles are coming in, big skirts with small and deep frills on the bottom (once again )
    Thanks again
    Sharon Jackson . UK .

  9. Believe that you have it inside you to live for your fullest
    potential. You can also require time once you
    do repetitive tasks which don’t require your full
    focus on focus inward. Success Factor: Increase the
    Pace – Once you have attained a diploma of success and
    self confidence, don’t result in the mistake to getting complacent, overconfident, or lazy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *